When it comes to angling, having the right gears and equipment is very important to maximize catch and productivity. Fly rods are great help while angling as they are designed for specific needs while casting flies. Fly rods are used to utilize momentum, direction and distance while casting flies and helps in efficient casting. For adopting and practicing fly fishing type of technique, it is important that one use best kind of fly fishing rods.
This guide is created after testing and trial of several rods and helps in listing the best fly fishing rods for the money you spend. While purchasing rods, budget is one aspect that must be thought about and this guide will help you make the right investment on high-quality rods.
Guide For Purchasing The Right Fly Rods
Technology and innovation have taken a front seat in everything and that does not ignore the fishing industry. With technologically advanced fly rods, it has become easy to go for fly fishing with maximum accuracy and efficient casting. But, while purchasing a fly rod, there are certain aspects and features that one must check to purchase better.
Fly Rod Action
It is important to determine the level of flexibility of the rod to understand the rod action. It completely depends on the back cast and more the rod bends during back cast, the more it is flexible. When it comes to flexibility, slow action rod imparts maximum flexibility while hard action rod imparts less flexibility and medium action fly rod falls between the former and latter.
It is important to consider the weight, as depending on it the casting precision is set. The casting efficiency and distance completely depend on the weight of the fly line. It improves the accuracy and controls the cast. Heavier weight gives a distant casting.
Depending on the need, the length of the rod varies accordingly. Most of the fishing rods fall in the range of 6 to 9 feet and casting depends on the length of the rod. When it comes to 9 feet long rod, it is used for longer casts, enables heavy fly lines and makes fishing during heavy winds convenient. However, the rods that are shorter than 9 feet which range from 6 to 8 feet are great for precise and short casting.
A lot of things depend on the construction of the rod and the material used decides the durability, performance and sturdiness of the rod. Most of the rods are constructed from aluminium, graphite or fiberglass imparting it its strength. It is recommended to purchase two-piece or four-piece construction for anglers who travel a lot for the convenience of portability.
Top 4 Best Fly Fishing Rod Reviews On The Market 2018
It is one of the best buys for money and is made from high-quality IM8 graphite or carbon fiber enduring maximum durability. It gives high-end performance and accuracy which is able to handle windy conditions in the right manner. The rod gives fast action for longer cast. It is travel friendly set of fly fishing rod that comes in 4 pieces and is protected in four compartment rod tube.
It ensures smooth and convenient gliding fly lines with the help of ceramic stripping guides and chrome snake guides. The four compartments in the holding tube make it easy and convenient to maintain the rods and carry them as one travel.
- Gives accurate and high-end performance with its fast action that facilitates longer casts.
- Strong and sturdy frame made from IM8 graphite that gives the rod its desired durability.
- Easy to carry as it comes in four pieces that can be kept precisely and safe within four compartment rod tube attached with shoulder sling.
- Four pieces of fishing rods that enable fast set-up with presence of alignment dot.
- Smooth and efficient gliding of fly lines with integrated ceramic aluminium guides and chrome snake guides.
- Ensures strong attachment of reel with presence of double lock rings in aluminium reel seat.
- Accuracy of rod casting is managed by half well cork handle.
- Light in weight and efficient but at times difficult to use in windy conditions.
The lightweight and high-quality flying fish rod exemplify durability, strength are extremely reliable. The composition of the rod is very sturdy which is made from blend of fiberglass and graphite that imparts the desired flexibility. The guide is made of stainless steel and ensures that the line stays in place despite windy conditions.
It is a two piece rod that is convenient to carry and has a length of around 6.6 inches. The quality of the rod is extremely superior and the rod is perfect for fishing both in saltwater and freshwater. It is an incredible piece for catching wide range of fishes.
- Tested for reliability, strength and durability with its construction using fiberglass and graphite.
- Two-piece fly fishing rod ensuring ease of carrying while travelling.
- Consists of stainless steel guides that ensure fish lining stays in place.
- Flexible and easy to manage with its premium construction using dual components.
- Extremely productive for catching wide range of fishes and great for saltwater and freshwater fishing.
- Good length of 6 feet 6 inches ensuring good casting.
- Ergonomically designed cork handle ensuring comfort while usage.
- At times it is difficult to load and becomes a little of struggle.
- Flexible but extra pressure may lead to breaking of the rod.
The fly fishing rod from Maxcatch Explorer is a 4 piece construction that makes it easy for anglers to carry. It is a medium fast action rod perfect for experienced and amateur anglers. It is durable and has solid construction as it is made of 100 percent IM6/24 T carbon fiber making it lightweight and durable. It is backed by cutting-edge A-Helical taper blank design technology that ensures and gives great line control.
It has a reel seat made of 606IT aluminium along with a handle of Pure A Quality. The rod is resistant to corrosion with integration of hard chrome snake guides made of stainless steel and top guides. The line control is provided by the ceramic ring stripping guide and it also reduces the overall friction.
- Medium fast action flying fish rod that gives accuracy of casting and handling.
- Great convenience of travelling anglers with its solid four piece construction.
- Sturdy, strong and powerful, made from cent percent IM6/24T carbon fiber that gives it flexibility.
- Integrated with A-Helical taper Slim blank technology making the rod light weighted.
- Durable reel seat made of 6061T aluminium of airspace graded and includes twin locking system.
- Consists of ferrules with tip over butt construction without alignment dots.
- Snake guides are made of chrome stainless steel and top guides included makes the rod corrosion resistant.
- Ceramic ring stripping guide gives good line control and reduce tension.
- Adjustment while casting and line alignment is slightly tricky for novice anglers.
The 8 feet long fly rod from Eagle Claw exudes great strength, durability and extremely reliable. It is made of high end quality material and is flexible for accuracy in casting. With length of 8 feet, it is slightly on the heavier line weight side and helps in efficient management of heavier flies and lines. This rod ensures smooth and accurate casting.
The fishing line is kept accurate and on position through the integration of seven line guides. It is extremely flexible and is great for both experienced and novice anglers. The cork handle is comfortable for usage and reel seat is made of premium grade aluminium blended with cherry wood.
- Sturdy, strong and reliable construction with the frame made of aluminium and cherry wood reel seat.
- It is basically a slow-action flying fish rod that imparts flexibility and ensures comfortable bending of the rod.
- The rod is 8 feet long with heavier line weight that maximizes accuracy of casting.
- It helps in long and smooth casting of the rod with right alignment.
- Includes 7 line guides which keep the fishing line in position.
- Nearly unbreakable and extremely sturdy without worrying about rod snapping.
- Casting is accurate but sort of stiff.
- Cork is uncomfortable at times but mostly for new users.
It is important to buy right gears when experimenting with flying fish technique in order to maximize the catch. For beginners usually, it is a daunting task to hunt for the right kind of fishing rod with the wide range of options available. It is necessary to invest on something that is of high quality and efficiency.
If you are looking for a fly fishing rod which serves best value for money and extremely efficient, this guide is what you need to read. The reviews have been written by experts in angling after personally testing individual rods. This comprehensive guide is designed to help you find best fly fishing rods for the money that are affordable, flexible and ensures accurate casting. All the fly fishing rods stand out in terms of performance, quality, action and durability.