Do you hate it when you have to cancel fishing plans due to sudden rain? Do you love a good challenge fishing outdoors? Or if you live where it rains frequently, it is a good idea to invest in a rain gear. With brands trying to improve the quality of these rain gears, rain suits are designed so that it is easy to wear all day without sweating.
Read more to find out how to pick rain gear for your needs, and review of the 3 best rain gear for fishing. You can brave the rain and enjoy fishing now!
How To Choose The Best Rain Gear For Your Needs?
There are three major types of rain-wear you can choose from in the industry. Here is a quick view of each type:
- Water Resistant: If you want a rain gear for light rain, drizzle or if you are planning to go outdoor for an activity which will make you sweat more, opt for water resistant material. It is a great choice for people who want ease of movement when they are wearing it. It usually comes as soft-shell jackets.
- Water Proof With Breathable Fabric: These jackets are waterproof not letting a drop of water through. The test for waterproof is usually done by placing the fabric used in the rainwater with 5000 mm water. There are jackets which can stand more than the minimum standard of 5000 mm. It is breathable as brands offer these gears in one, two and three layers that reduces the uneasiness of one heavy jacket. 3 layer jackets are the most expensive option.
- Waterproof: These are heavy jackets which are worn by guards on duty. If you are not going to move a lot, these jackets keep you dry like you never stepped out in the rain.
Some Other Things To Pay Attention To:
- Fit: Like any goof outdoor jacket, rain wears should fit a little loose so that you can layer underneath it. Depending on how many layers you prefer to wear, pick a size that is not too loose as the water can enter through it.
- Adjusting The Fit: You can adjust the hood and openings around the leg, hand and neck comfortably in some jackets as you wish.
- Seam: Look for jackets that are seam taped completely. This plays a key role in waterproofing your jacket.
- Zippers: To keep the water away from the body, the jackets use two kinds of zippers. Zippers are coated with rubber or plastic. Some zippers come with storm flaps to stop water from entering. Coated zippers are light but wear out soon.
- Ventilation: To provide better breath-ability to the jackets some jackets design mesh liners or vents in areas that usually generate heat like underarm and torso pockets.
- Portability: If you live in a place that has periods of rain, you will want a jacket that is easy to pack and store. Some jackets come with pockets that can be used as storage bags when not in use. Heavy waterproof jackets are usually difficult to store.
- Pockets: When you are out fishing, you might want to store a few essentials in the pockets. Look for pockets with straps that will keep water away.
Top 3 Best Rain Gear For Fishing Reviews On The Market
*Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
This rain suit is a great choice for those who live in rainy areas and need to be outdoors for fishing often. You can easily dry it because of its easy fabric and can be stores away easily when you do not need it.
- It is a rain suit designed by Frogg Toggs. They offer sizes from small to double extra-large.
- They come in five colors: stone black, green black, jet black, real tree all-purpose extra color and royal blue with black.
- It is completely waterproofed and is made from imported polypropylene.
- This suit is made using non-woven materials to create a breathable fabric which is also water proof.
- It is designed with a hood that is detachable or concealed under the color as per your convenience.
- It is a full length jacket which is carefully made for easy movement.
- It has three layers of polypropylene and the layer in the middle is micro porous which enhances its waterproofing ability.
- It can be washed in your washing machine.
- It does not come with a carry bag to fold it after use when outdoors.
This Coleman suit comes with cuffs and hood that can be easily removed and attached back. You can easily adjust it as per your needs without any discomfort. Hood has a visor which will provide you better visibility by keeping water away from your face.
- It is a durable rain suit which is waterproof as it is made with 20mm PVC and nylon lining.
- It is adjustable near the leg openings for your comfort and has a draw cord near the waist.
- Unlike most waterproof jackets, this jacket has pocket with slit openings.
- It can be stored in a compact reusable bag it comes with.
- It is thick enough to protect you from rain, cold weather and even strong winds.
- The straps are reflective when you are trying to improve the safety when you are on road.
- It comes as a light jacket so be careful near sharp edges as the PVC might tear.
This jacket by Helly Hansen is made from the imported quality polyurethane and polyester. It is constructed with a registered micro weld seam.
- It is waterproof and has a generous cut for easy movement.
- The hood comes attached but it can be tucked in under the collar in case you don’t need it.
- There are two pockets at the front which are interconnected with a double entry design.
- The jacket has a zip all the way up to the neck and comes with a storm flap which keeps excessive water away from the body.
- Ventilation has been a main concern taken care of by the designers making the back cape less sweaty and the material has been tested for blood-borne pathogen.
- This is a polyester jacket which has been coated by polyurethane. It is available in sizes from extra small up to 6x.
- It comes in four colors: navy, green brown, black and another shade of green.
- If you are looking for a jacket which is waterproof and nor feel very rubbery, then you might want to choose some other jacket.
If you are out in the rain fishing, the first thing you need to do stay dry. While you are trying various jackets, pay attention to the waterproofness of the material. Breath-ability is also a major thing to consider. If your jacket is breathable, you can move around without sweating and discomforts due to the heat in the jacket.
It is very important that you have the right rain gear to go fishing but that doesn’t mean you have to spend a lot of money on expensive jackets. Our picks for the best rain gears are not very expensive and are value products that will last for a long time. They are all made out of breathable fabric to handle light to heavy rain.
Some fishermen say that fishing in the rain is great as the fish bite the most during rain. So always keep your rain wear handy. Read through our detailed review of the best rain gear for fishing before you shop for one.